June 18, 2012

Music Monday: The Boys In The Band

Although I'm not officially a part of the serial known as Music Monday,
I figured it couldn't hurt to post some of my latest favourite tunes.
I have a wide and varying taste when it comes to music:
I'm passionately in love with Classical/Romantic,
Exceedingly fond of folk, folk rock, and the style referred to as "Appalachian" (Think Fleet Foxes),
I'm a big listener to indie and indie rock,
I have a great collection of Big Band Swing era tunes,
I love Opera and choral,
I adore lyrical and showtunes,
And I can't get enough of (well-written, well-sung, non-mainstream) pop.
However, I've had a bit of a focused listening this past week or so.

*Tokyo Police Club*
*
(Yes, that's me up there. Yes I have a band shirt. No, I'm not a crazy fangirl.)
Although they are more rock than pop, I really enjoy their music:
They are very Canadian.
Wait Up and Gone are probably my two favourite songs.
The way they blend their beats and instrumentation is fantastic.

*Jonsi*
*
*
The above song, Go Do, is probably one of my all-time favourite pieces of music.
As the former frontman for the band Sigur Ros, Jonsi has a penchant for organic sound (nothing digitally produced), blending Icelandic and English in a confusing and near untranslatable lyric, and  wearing lots and lots of feathers. 
However, the music is stunning, and I'm always left enthralled at the man's capabilities as well as choice of headgear. 

*Regina Spektor*
*
*
{Image via Pitchfork
Although I'm obsessively fond of Regina, I'm still not sure what I think of her newest album.
I'm highly enjoying it, I'm just not sure that I like  it as much as her previous works.
That being said, I really don't think albums are for comparison: each one is a work in and of itself- like a person- and should be judged and loved as such. Some have personalities you don't agree with quite as much, some are acquaintances, and some soon are fast friends. However, I think What We Saw From The Cheap Seats and I will get along just fine.

*Josh Garrels* 
*
*
{Image via Bandcamp}
Indie folk rock Christian music riddled with gorgeous melodies, and stunning, moving lyrics.
I have a hard time finding Christ-focused and God-honouring music that is neither absolutely mainstream, nor featuring unimaginative lyrics that spend more time explaining how the singer feels about worship and what it does for him than actually worshiping.
The music of Josh Garrels transcends the norm, and has brought me to tears on more than one occasion with lyrics that point me back to Christ with clarity and beauty.
This is my favourite album, and- you lucky people- it's available free on his Bandcamp page!
The best tunes- in my humble opinion- are White Owl, Farther Along, and The Resistance (A song that features some white-man-folk rap. Yee-haw!). 

*Welkin Roar*
(Or at least that's the band name for now).
A friend of my best friend is a songwriter, and Brianne was nice enough to pass along some of his songs to me in recent months. I'm not sure if you would call it Contemporary Christian, rap, pop, or all of the above, but it is unique, and I really, really like it.
The gentleman-by the name of Thaddeus- who writes and performs it comes up with some God-centered lyrics, fantastic rhymes, and catchy, well-constructed tunes.
And I'm sorry to be snarky, but it's not something you're going to be able to find online.
(I just reached new heights of obscurity in the bands that I listen to!)
My favourite song so far is one he wrote for Brianne and her fiancee Ryan 
(Or so I believe),
And makes mention of some of my favourite things, including record players, vintage bikes, tea, and-most importantly- a Darth Vader mug. 
Be jealous.
Be very jealous.

What are you listening to?

No comments: