June 22, 2012

Fiddle Fun

Yesterday a group of friends and I,
Spread out in two cars,
Musical instruments in tow,
Set off for the National Oldtime Fiddle Festival in Weiser, Idaho.
The last and first time we went was in 2010, a small handful of good friends in search of an even better time.
Look how far we've come.
*
*
It was a hot, muggy day,
The air was filled with the twang and hum of a hundred fiddlers warming up, 
Small groups of wandering musicians in casual jam sessions,
Old timers and their friends plucking strings and discussing "The Good 'Ol Days".
Our last sojourn into Weiser for the same festival holds so many memories near and dear to me, that I was  afraid this time would pale in comparison.
However, much fun was had by all.
The gang.
*
*
{Brianne was taking the picture}
My latest obsession: writing verses on my arm to aid in memorization. 
This however, reads "Strength from Hope/Hope from Strength." 
The Bible often describes Christ as both.
*
*
We wandered the Weiser Museum.
For such a small town, they have a surprisingly interesting display of history, complete with a whole floor devoted to, I'm not sure why, the holocaust.
And, to add to the frightening morbidity, they had a Victorian era (Awesome!) pram with an extremely creepy baby doll (Not some awesome).
*
{Photo taken by Laura, edited by me}
However, they also have lots of less frightening pieces of historical delight on display.
For example, this random jar of drained eggs.
*
*
This is Grace Sterling's "Connivering conniving" face. 
*
*
Of course, one of the best parts of a Fiddle Festival is, in fact, the fiddling.
My beloved and I.
And yes, I do resemble a duck here. 
I'm okay with that.
*
*
{Photo taken by Laura, edited by me}
The carnival was disappointingly small, aggravatingly expensive, and exasperatingly tame in the area of roller coasters, so Brianne and I satisfied our need for fun by getting our faces painted.
*
*
{Photo taken by Laura, edited by me}
Brianne's by the name of Swift, was all fierce, feline beauty.
*
*
I feel mine suited me as well.
*
*
After getting back to the Sterling's house, we decided that the best way to top off the evening would be to eat breakfast burritos (for dinner), 
Watch The Secret World of Arrietty, 
And, of course, wear stickers on our noses.
*
*
We decided that we aren't going to be the people who get boring when they are thirty-five.
We'll just always be the stickers-on-your-nose type, and there's no helping that.
Not that we mind terribly.
It was a fantastic, full, fun day.
I am so blessed to know the people I do, and am rich in the friendships I have been given.
I wouldn't give these people up for anything. 

3 comments:

kimberly said...

Yaaay! I'm so happy you posted photos! :D You looks beautiful, and it looks like so much fun. Especially adore the face paint. :)

Katy said...

It sounds like you had a lovely time! I do wish I could play the fiddle. I bet you play amazingly!

xo,
Katy

Grace Doolittle said...

Haha! Katy, your comment made me laugh, because- in all reality- I sound like I'm skinning a live cat. No false modesty at all. It's atrocious. But I play anything, so I like to think that stubborn persistence is a good thing.
Thank you for the compliment, Kimberly: I'm not much of a photographer, but I'd like to put some more snaps up, and am working on it! The face paint was so fun! I've never gotten my face painted at a carnival before!