April 22, 2012

Let The Sunshine In

Ah!
What a glorious, glorious day!!
Today's post is in reply to a blogging game of tag, the which I have Victoria from Raindrops and Moonlight to thank for the honours.
Here is how it works.
Number One. Rules and regulations must be visible to all. (I'm already ahead of the game!)
Number Two. Post eleven (Count 'em!) facts of random insignificance about yourself.
Number Three. Answer the eleven questions posed you by the tagger in his or her post.
Number Four. Ask those you will tagging eleven questions for them to answer in their responses (You can be a pokey-proddy as you like!).
Number Five. Alert those you are tagging that they have, indeed, been cornered, er, tagged, by posting to their bloglands. 
Now.
Let the games begin! 
And may the odds be ever in your favour. 
Ah. Eleven random and insignificant facts. Hm.
Fact 1. I am absolutely, head-over-heels in love with Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy. And I mean in love. In all the known world, it is my favourite song. I can't think of anything I'd rather hear more than that tune, all excepting the voice of Christ, of course. Well, and a chorus of heavenly angels. 
Fact 2. I have not, in fact, read The Hunger Games. So I really had no right to use that line up there. I have read a lot though. I've always been an avid reader, and don't really do a lot of modern stuff. I stick closely to classics, poetry, literature. You know, I've never had a better friend than a good book (and the Lord). Books are always there for you, they are passages to new places, foreign countries, lands that don't even exist. And is that not the most wonderful thing you can imagine? How words have the power to bring into vivid existence places that subsist only in One's mind! Sometimes when I write I feel nearly ashamed, for it's almost like playing God (Oh dear, that sounds a great deal more sacrilegious than it means!)
Fact 3. I don't mind waking up early. Go back to my posts last Summer and you will see that it's true. You will also see a great deal of my second-rate prose, but it's an awful lot to do with sunrises and such. I think the sunrise is one of God's greatest and loveliest gifts to us, right up there with cherry blossoms and koi fish.
Fact 4. I have recently gotten gel nails (Fake nails), and they are kind of hard to type with. So far they've been marvelously helpful at work. Not so much on a keyboard, though. 
Fact 5. I am destined to be a cat lady. Although I talk about marrying someday, the larger part of me is convinced that I am really going to end up an old maid with ten cats that all drink milk from blue china bowls. The odd part is, I really don't mind. I think part of this belief stems from the fact that almost all of the men I've met are hardly men at all. There is a certain lack of gentility, sincerity, truth, abandon for Christ that inhabits nearly the entire male population. I am willing to say that much of the lack of respect for women tends from women's lack of respect for themselves. If more women would sit down and be ladies, perhaps more men would stand and be gentlemen. But this is besides the point. I'm tired of dressing modestly and behaving well and still having to practically force whomever I am speaking to's eyes up.With cats, you don't have that trouble. 
Of course, part of the belief also stems from my finding it hard to believe that there is any man who wants hand-knit socks, someone to sing harmony, books stacked higgledy-piggledy all over the house, can understand (and return) my Shakespeare references, and eat Quiche Lorraine for dinner. But who knows: God is a God of miracles. 
Fact 6. I like swing sets. 
I've often thought that it would be fun to do a cross-country journey mapped by swing sets. When you see one, you pull over and have to swing for a bit. And then you write about it, be it essay, prose, or poetry, and rate it. And you play the guitar and sing during the drive.
Fact 7. Goldfish crackers, dried bananas, frozen grapes, watermelon, mochi, peanut M&Ms, nectarines, and ginger chews are some of my favourite snacks. Also, hummus, but that's more like an hors d'ourve.
Fact 8. I am so very thankful for the love and salvation of Jesus Christ. It is the reason I am living, the reason I sing, and what keeps me smiling. The entire point of my existence is to magnify Christ and to tell of the Lord, and it is a task I am so honoured to undertake. 
Fact 9. I love picnics.
Fact. 10. I hate algae.
Fact 11. I love hats. Not baseball caps, hats. Especially the 1920s cloches and 1930-1940s styles. I have begun a small collection and am slowly amassing quite a number of them. What ever happened to the days when women never left the house without a smashing piece of headgear? 

Now: to answer the questions posed me.
Question 1.  If you had a choice between spending a day in a mountain forest or at the seaside, which would you choose and why? 
Well, naturally, the sea! But...I do love the mountain forest...I know! I'd go to the mountain on day one, and visit the sea side the next! I'd do it in this order because it's just the descending order of things. Also, one does need a bath after camping.


Question 2.  How do you define true beauty?
This is such a question! Real beauty? It is anything that is true, that escapes the easy reach of words, can't be taken in all at once, and is so very complex, even in its simplicity. 


Question 3.  What's the one thing that, without fail, will always touch your heart?
Well...beauty. I feel like I'm cheating, because beauty includes a great many things, including birdsong, poetry, and a perfect piece of cheesecake.
Also, the theme from Titanic. Makes me cry every time.

Question 4.  What's the one thing that, without fail, will always make you want to scream and yell and generally have a fit?

When my siblings touch, maraud, or otherwise go through my things. I'm envisioning such instances as eating One's personally bought and specially labeled foodstuffs, using One's watercolours, and going through One's notebooks. No touchy, peeps. 

Question 5.  What is your opinion on parasols?
Why, oh why, did they ever go out of style! Instead, in an effort to keep cool, women today just resort to wearing hardly any clothing at all. I'm sorry, that just doesn't see logical to me. I've actually been on the market for a parasol for some time now. I just can't seem to find one at a reasonable price.

Question 6.  If an old guy in a pointy hat came to your door one fine morning and asked you to participate in an Adventure, what would you do?  Think about it, now!
Ooh! This is a good one! Seeing as I don't have hobbit feet, live in a hole in a hill, have a perfectly round door, nor only a slight inclination- from one person on one side of my family- for wandering, I would probably already have my bag packed, my staff ready, and my adventure shoes (and hat) on. Of course, I would invite said stranger to have some tea first. One musn't forget One's manners, even at the great temptation of a spontaneous adventure.

Question 7.  Poetry: hate it or love it?  Why or why not? 
Adore.
Love.
Revere.
I can't get enough of it!
It was even used in writing a great portion of the Bible!
I love poetry, because it sounds like what my heart and soul wish to say. 
I love the way the words unite together (in rhyming poetry), the rhythms, the expression, the form, the feeling. It is just so lovely. 

Question 8.  Do you have any passages of literature memorized? Why did you choose to memorize it, if so?
Whole chunks. My favourite is The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll, mostly because it is just so nonsensical, but I also have The Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock memorized, bits of Jane Austen's Persuasion, The Sunne Rising by John Donne (my favourite Donne Poem, actually), tons of the Bible, some Emerson, some Thoreau, some Shakespeare, and some Jacques, some Tennyson, some Salinger, some Cummings, a lot of Dickinson, and much more. I usually don't memorize it on purpose; a bit pops out at me, or I love a certain part, and before I know it I've got it memorized.

Question 9.  What do you wish most to accomplish by blogging?
To touch the hearts and lives of others. 
I acknowledge that words are powerful things, and I don't take my blog presumptuously. I want it to represent Christ, to make others laugh, to cause people to think, and to encourage everyone to open their eyes to all the things that surround them. 
And mostly to ramble. I like rambling.


Question 10. What do you base your like or dislike of a film on?
On whether or not it was any good. It's really not that hard.

Question 11.  Do you believe in the cliche saying "follow your heart"?  Why or why not?
"The heart is deceitful above all things a desperately wicked: who can know it?" -Jeremiah 17:9.
One shouldn't follow their heart.
One should always follow Christ's.

My eleven questions for those I shall tag are as follows.
1. Name a favourite book genre.
2. What's your favourite food and drink?
3. Where should you like to live abroad?
4. Would you rather have a parakeet or a cockatoo?
5. If you could stop one historical event from happening, what would it be? What do you imagine the repercussions would be today if it never happened? 
6. Ice skating or snowball fights?
7. What was the most embarrassing thing you've ever done in public?
8. Dance in the rain or lay in the sun?
9. If you were told you had ten million dollars to give to one person other than yourself, who would you give it to?
10. If you could, would you change the way things are coloured? An orange sky and purple grass, for instance. What colours would you choose?
11. What kind of dance would you most like to learn? What instrument? 
*
Whee, that was fun! 
Now, to tag others!
1. Emily Rose of Mist of the Blossom Rain
2. Marissa at Feathers and Dust 
3. Kimberly at {A}Musing
4. Lauren at Bits and Pieces
5. Brianne at To Twirl a Mustache
6. Kaley Grace at Over The Rainbow
Have fun, chaps!
Cheerio!


4 comments:

Sarah Michelle said...

Lovely! Absolutely lovely! It always makes my happy to see that there is a new post from you! :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I loved this! It was so neat getting to learn so much about you through this post!!

Victoria said...

I've always had a sneaking desire for a parasol as well. :) I may or may not substitute with an ordinary umbrella....

Also, I'm THRILLED to find someone who does NOT believe in "following your heart". You can't imagine how relieved that made me.

Actually, I went through just about every answer mentally going "ME TOO!". :D

Emily Rose said...

Thank you so much for the tag! I can't wait to do it.:)