March 8, 2012

Springing Forward

*
*
Spring is so very nearly here,
Stepping forward tentatively, weakly,
Grabbing hold of branches and limbs to gain her balance,
Encouraged onward by the birds,
Practicing her tricks in the grass, steadily growing greener.
About this same time every year, I'm struck by how much I love flowers, love to see things grow.
I'm sure I'll see my favourite flowers, cherry blossoms, bursting forth in their own tumultuous, crowded splendor quite soon.
*
*
I will admit to being a completely stereotypical girl when it comes to flowers; I love them!
I've never understood why diamonds and emeralds and other stones used for jewelry became such hard and fast symbols of love and affection. I'd rather receive a nosegay of wildflowers than a cold rock.
Flowers declare themselves to be warm, and alive, and friendly, and beautiful.
However, I'm no great writer, cannot seem to express all of the beauty that is new growth and warmth and blue skies, so I will instead borrow words from those who could best express them.
*
*
"...Through primrose tufts, in that green bower,
The periwinkle trailed its wreaths;
And 'tis my faith that every flower
Enjoys the air it breathes.

The birds around me hopped and played,
Their thoughts I cannot measure: --
But the least motion which they made,
It seemed a thrill of pleasure.

The budding twigs spread out their fan,
To catch the breezy air;
And I must think, do all I can,
That there was pleasure there..."
~ From Lines Written In Early Spring by William Wordsworth
*
*
"Now that the winter’s gone, the earth hath lost
Her snow-white robes; and now no more the frost
Candies the grass, or casts an icy cream
Upon the silver lake or crystal stream:.."
*
*
"...But the warm sun thaws the benumbed earth,
And makes it tender; gives a sacred birth
To the dead swallow; wakes in hollow tree
The drowsy cuckoo and the humble-bee..."
*
*
"...Now do a choir of chirping minstrels bring,
In triumph to the world, the youthful spring:
The valleys, hills, and woods in rich array
Welcome the coming of the long’d-for May.
Now all things smile..."
~ From The Spring by Thomas Carew
*
*

"A Light exists in Spring
Not present on the Year
At any other period —
When March is scarcely here

A Color stands abroad
On Solitary Fields
That Science cannot overtake
But Human Nature feels.

It waits upon the Lawn,
It shows the furthest Tree
Upon the furthest Slope you know
It almost speaks to you..."
~ From A Light Exists In Spring by Emily Dickinson
*
*
Even though I love Winter, I'm not sad to see it go with such colourful prospects ahead.
I'm so very tempted to go on a picnic, go hiking, sketch by Walden (The duck pond by our park. It is, in fact, full of ducks and geese), read some Emerson and Cummings in Hyde park...something that requires being out of doors and enjoying it.
I love how we celebrate Christ's burial and resurrection during this season rife with new life. It has always seemed so fitting.
And speaking of fitting, I'm enjoying the thought of a new wardrobe made particularly for the season. 
I'm low on clothes that fit since the Anorexia Fiasco that was last year (my wardrobe is still a collection of long sleeves, warm coats, and extra-small sizes), but working in a gently used clothing store of generally good taste certainly has its perks, as does an employee discount.
Doesn't this look the very epitome of Spring?
*
*
I'm entertaining the idea of throwing another Spring tea party this year, only I might wait until early Summer, that way Brianne and other friends currently away at college will be able to attend.
I hope you lot are enjoying the blessings of an early Spring as well! 
If not, it will come soon enough! 
Cheerio!
*
*




5 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Yet another amazing blog post! I actually wrote a new blog this morning about spring - though it was more specifically about rain. I loved this! The inclusion of the Dickinson and Wordsworth poems was perfect. Great post!

Grace said...

Thank you! I REALLY wanted to include some Keats, but I didn't have the time to browse his works. There are some pieces about flowers and growth in Endymion that would have gone nicely.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Keats is probably one of my three favorite poets (along with Thoreau and Frost). Can't wait to read more of your work :)

Grace said...

I'm so in love with Thoreau, I have a shirt with a print of a vintage cover of Walden Pond on the front. On that note, you should check out this site, they have the greatest things for word nerds like us.
http://outofprintclothing.com/

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Grace, I just visited that website and spend half an hour on there :) Yes I love Thoreau as well. His ruminations are among the most beautiful that I've ever read.