February 10, 2012

Fancy Friday: Time for Tea

Good morning, lovely readers and fellow bloggers!
Whilst browsing through my blog's past history,
Giggling over my first posts,
Meditating over how far I've come,
Saddened by the many ways I have deteriorated,
Uplifted by the improvements and good changes, 
(especially in my walk with Christ)
Skipping, entirely, the sections from my stay in New York,
(I have been missing Manhattan a particular lot this past week or so. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be anywhere else right now!)
I stumbled across something quite interesting that I'd quite forgotten.
Fancy Friday.
How long has it been since I've posted a Fancy Friday entry?
And entry dedicated wholly to a very fancy, beautiful, fun topic of polled choice?
It's been over a year, that's how long!
So, taking this Friday off as an opportunity,
I've decided to try and renew my attempts at weekly glorifying something frivolously fabulous (Or fabulously frivolous)!
*
Today's topic was of uncertain origin until I set about baking some deliciousness this a short while ago.
Scones.
*
*
Because this particular food item isn't really, truly all that fancy, I have decided to widen the subject a bit to include the whole kit and caboodle of what scones are all about.
Tea time.
*
*
(Oh ho ho! Anyone who knows me at all knows how particularly I love this subject!)
However British a tradition it may seem, tea time, tea drinking, and the rituals surrounding tea are almost entirely of Asian origin. 
It took many sneaky attempts, several doses of passing people off as monks (or bribing one to infiltrate), and a good portion of thievery, but England was finally able to procure the secret of tea, and establish it as a tradition of its own.
*
*
And while that's all well and good, I prefer to think of it as a very European thing on the whole, and some part of me never really will forgive those revolutionaries for dumping all that tea into the river, however much I love my country and favour the topic of the American Revolution.
That aside, tea can be as commonplace or as fancy as you wish, and it all depends on how one chooses to serve it.
But as it is Friday, we shall focus on the fancier methods of tea-service.
Bloggers, feast thine eyes!
It can be dainty...
*
*
..Doesn't necessarily require a lovely parlor to be beautiful and fancy...
*
*
...Can be served with various delicious treats...
*
*
*
*
And-while we've already established the Britishness of it- is actually a very manly drink, despite what the chaps of your acquaintance may have to say. Next time someone says that tea is for girls, recall that real men are the ones who are comfortable enough with their manliness to quaff large quantities of Earl Grey.
Just like Scottish blokes who wear skirts: they throw logs.
All the men I know wear pants and probably couldn't even lift a log, much less contest with fellow males to see who can toss one the furthest.
Scottish men also know how to dance, and play musical instruments.
I digress.
*
*
Oh, also, on the note of men. 
The only man I shall marry is he who has sense enough to propose with a ring much like this.
*
*
Today, I made some lovely ginger cranberry scones. 
I only baked up half a batch, and made sure to do so whilst the many Siblings are away at school. They shan't know about my treat, as I should like to be able to have one for tea this afternoon, and a couple tomorrow.
*
*
Tea and scones: two of the most commonplace things, and yet both so wonderful. 
If the Queen partakes of it on a daily basis, then it's fancy enough for me!
Admittedly, my daily tea service is not quite as fancy...
*
*
...However, in honor of the occasion, I shall have to take out my best pot and favourite tea cup for today's service.
What are you up to on this Fancy Friday?
I hope you all are doing well: be sure to take every opportunity to be as fancy as you possibly can!
Cheerio!

1 comment:

Emily Rose said...

Oh yes, that would be darling engagement ring! Fancy Friday sounds fabulous:)