February 24, 2012

Fancy Friday: The Architecture of Books

Today's Fancy Friday post is on a bit of an odd topic:
Libraries.
I think the architecture of libraries is one of the loveliest forms of buildings, because I think books are some of the loveliest things God has given us in this world. 
Lovely things deserve lovely homes, and here are just a minuscule fraction of the thousands of fantastic buildings created for the housing and lending of books.
*
*
The Benedictine Monastery in Admont Austria

*
*
The Bristol Central Library

*
*
The British Reading Room in London, England

*
*
The Central Library in Vancouver, BC Canada

*
*
Library of the Dutch Parliament

*
*
Jedi Archives (Okay, let me be a nerd. It's fancy, alright!?)

*
*
Library in Utrecht, Netherlands

*
*
One of the stairways in the New York Public Library.
I got to spend many hours there last Fall, and it is far and away the most fantastic and stunning library I have ever had the fortune to be in.
The entire first floor is a museum dedicated to literary history.
They have the original stuffed animals of Christopher Robin, original manuscripts by T.S. Eliot, Cumming's typewriter, Charlotte Bronte's traveling writing desk, Virginia Woolf's walking stick, George Washington's original copy of his resignation speech, original prints by Audubon that are as big as me, ancient cuneiform blocks, and so much more.
And that's just downstairs. 
Upstairs they have... 
*
*
Books upon books upon books upon books.
It's the most beautiful thing I've ever beheld.

*
*
One of the Oxford College Libraries, Oxfordshire England

*
*
Parliament Library, Ontario Canada

*
*
The Gabinete Portugues De Leitura Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

*
*
State Law Library, Des Moines, Iowa

*
*
Trinity Library in Dublin, Ireland

*
*
University of Washington Library.
(Road trip to Seattle, anyone?)
*
As I said, these are just a few of the thousands of beautiful libraries in this world.
I'm off to go finish baking my Chocolate Pots de Creme, brew some tea, read Samuel Tayler Coleridge, and listen to La Triviata for the next hour or so.
(It's on afternoons like this I realize why I'm going to end up an old maid with ten cats that drink milk from blue china saucers: what kind of guy even puts up with stuff like Coleridge, Pots de Creme with tea, and opera music, much less enjoys it? No one I know! So cats it shall be! Anyone know where I can get some nice blue china saucers?)

3 comments:

Grace Nation said...

This is a lovely post, Grace.
I was thrilled to be accepted as an intern at my local library. Always being surrounded by books is so magical! I love fancy Fridays!
~Grace Nation~

Amanda said...

Don't worry, if Chocolate pots de creme, opera music, and cats, = forever single, you won't be the only one! :)

Loved this post, libraries are my favorite places in the world, and the ones you showcased are some of the loveliest!

Abi said...

OMG. This post. Love it. Ah, the joys of walking into a beautiful library. :)