December 17, 2011

Once Upon A Dream

*
*
I have a confession to make.
Deep down inside,
Past all of my insecurities,
Beyond all of the jokes and eye-rolls,
In the very depths of my gypsy heart and soul,
I wish I were a princess.
*
*
The tall, beautiful, sometimes cursed young woman of so many stories, both fairytale and factual, who is blessed with both aristocratic pedigree and parentage, a kingdom to rule someday, and a fabulous wardrobe or three full of every kind of outfit, shoe, and accessory. 
A well-bred girl of opportunity, class, and unmistakable elegance. 
But there is so much more to these royal aspirations than just glass slippers and gilded rooms.
A princess is born with not only the opportunity but the responsibility to care for others and make a difference in their lives. 
To uphold a kingdom and make good decisions. 
Rule in fairness, equality, and wisdom (not to mention style!). 
Of course, the perks that come with the title aren't so bad either.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
(Yes, the above photo is referring to the fine collections of china and tea that I would posses.)
But the funny part is...
I already am a princess:
I am a daughter of the King of Kings.
I have a curse and story to make even the most popular storybook princess green with envy:
The curse of sin and my separation from my Father as I live here on earth. 
I will someday go home to a wonderful kingdom, wear a glorious tiara, and even have a fantastic singing voice to boot.
I have a mansion being prepared for me.
I will cast that tiara at the feet of the King.
I will spend eternity singing praises to God.
*
*
I look forward to an eternity better than any of the Disney princesses ever had, and a truer Love than was ever shared in true love's kiss.
And, despite my even stronger protests and denials about marriage and the like, every once in a while, during a day dream or sleep, I find myself longing for the greatest part of every fairy tale.
Wishing for that other piece of my royal story that comes before making it home to the Kingdom of Eternity.
Hoping for the dreamiest (usually) part of the tale to come ...
(and finally admitting it)
*
*
I'm a daughter of the King of Kings.
I wear a crown that can never be stolen, broken, or tarnished.
I'm- both in my heart, imagination, dreams and in God's eyes- a princess.
Are you?




5 comments:

Emily Rose said...

Beautiful post, dear. I long to be a princess as well. Or perhaps there is a princess in me, waiting to burst free.

Grace said...

AHA! That's a good way to put it! Just like, deep down, everybody is a cookie monster, maybe we're all princesses deep down as well.

Jessica said...

mm, lovely. every one of us is a princess in some way, shape, or form♥

Sarah Michelle said...

I love this! So beautiful, and such a sweet reminder. :)

Cynthia said...

This post is beautiful. I always (and still wish deep down) that I could be Aurora from Sleeping Beauty. You're more of a princess than you may realize. Regal, dignified, hyper intelligent and gorgeous in any outfit <3