October 14, 2011

I Got Rhythm

*
Tumblr_lsy82ch1nf1r0g8q4o1_250_large
*
What is it about this city that is so...enchanting?
What is it about those three letters (NYC) that conjures to mind so many different pictures?
Taxis
Dirty streets
Blue coffee cups
Crowds of people
High heels
Briefcases
Skyscrapers
Cardboard lean-tos.
And under it all a fascinating, quick, rhythm that makes this city what it is; sets it apart from all the others.
Central Park
Broadway
The Met.
All of these places that somehow call my name, tantalize me with the promise of an adventure, no matter how small, if I go to discover them.
Crowded delis
Yelling cabbies
Cozy cafes
Independent book stores
Boutiques
All blend together in some sort of painting that's a mix of the angles and juxtaposition that describe Cubism, yet with all of the color and expression of an Impressionistic painting.
New York,
I love you.

4 comments:

Traci said...

So glad that you are enjoying the city! Praying for you!

Emily Rose said...

You described NYC perfectly;)

Grace said...

Thank you Traci!
Emily: I'm glad! I feel a bit hypocrytical, seeing as I've been out so little. But I'm looking forward to expanding my views and experiences. :)
Thank you for the lovely letters you've sent! You should be getting one on Monday or so.

SomeoneLikeYou said...

The way you write is simply breathtaking... You take the reader in the moment with you and describe with such vivid detail and feeling. After scrolling down I especially loved your 'I am jealous' poem. You captured what I feel often so well.

...And thank you ever so much for dropping by my blog and leaving such a sweet note! xx