August 26, 2011

Silver Screen

I will not be pretentious:
I am not much of a movie person.
I used to be. I would watch films every evening, see movies in theaters, hang out in front of the television.
But for some reason, especially in this past year, I've simply lost all interest in movies.
There is rarely anything turned out into the theater that I want to waste my time on, and I'd much rather watch something informative (For instance: Planet Earth is a show I watch again and again and again and never tire of). 
However, there are some movie genres, film types, and particular reels that I could sit and watch over and over again. These include Doctor Who, Masterpiece Theater productions, interesting documentaries,  a lot of British telly (I'm sensing a British theme here), well-done period drama...
But the one thing I really love, adore, drink in, are the classic black and white flicks.
Old movies that no one watches anymore, films no one remembers.
White Christmas is, by the way, one of my all-time favorite films. I simply adore it.
I especially love the old actors and actresses. 
The way they portray their characters and selves in a way completely different from that of modern actors.
Some of my favorites are:
Bing Crosby
*
*
Bob Hope
*
*
Cary Grant
*
*
Clark Gable
*
*
Danny Kaye
*
*
Debbie Reynolds (Knitting!!)
*
*
Donald O'Connor
*
*
Eva Marie Saint
*
*
Gene Kelly
*
*
Ginger Rogers
*
*
Grace Kelly
*
*
Gregory Peck
*
*
Jimmy Stewart
*
*
Joan Blondell
*
*
Rosemary Clooney
*
*
All of these actors and actresses make it possible for me to enjoy television again,
Make me yearn to hit the "play" button once again and stay on the couch for just a few hours longer,
Knitting steadily away, cup of tea at hand.
*Sigh*
Who are your favorite "classic" actors and actresses?

8 comments:

Madison said...

You just listed some of my favorite actors. Especially Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart... they'll always be on my favorite list. ^_^

hurtingbuthappy said...

Ah, Grace, once again you and I are kindred spirits. I LOVE old movies. We share many favorite actors/actresses. I also like Greer Garson, Ronald Coleman, and Fred Astaire. And White Christmas is a staple in our house. Christmas time is missing something if we don't get to watch it.
My dear husband has recently introduced me to Doctor Who. It's growing on me.
I am having fun trying to decide which movie to watch when labor comes in a couple months. Last time it was my favorite John Wayne western. This time I'm thinking a period movie maybe. :)

Lily said...

I kinda have a thing for Gregory Peck....*swoons* Roman Holiday is one of my favorite movies. :)

ohhh, and Errol Flynn is such a wonderful guy too. :)

basically, your whole list is AMAZING.

Haley said...

Love all your picks! I'd add Doris Day for sure. Hedy Lamarr has quite a few good ones too. And Myrna Loy, Agnes Moorehead, and Betty Garrett. TCM is the best channel for discovering new classics!

Theresa Rohrer said...

I also adore old movies. I LOVE "White Christmas" and "Roman Holiday" too!

To you I recommend "The More The Merrier." It's pure perfection!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036172/

You're making me want to do a favorite classic movie post!

Theresa Rohrer said...

Oh wait! But I liked "Holiday Inn" even better than "White Christmas." I forgot to throw that in there. ;)
T

Rissi said...

The British make the BEST costume dramas! They are always fabulous - and I cannot seem to see enough of them. =D

Emily Rose said...

I love Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca" and of course, Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz".