July 21, 2011

Forgetting Your Camera Is NEVER A Good Excuse

 Well I think I need to be in the doghouse for at least a little bit.
I have this bad habit of promising bloggy things that never come to pass.
I.e. a second blog post yesterday.
Pictures of our outing to Eagle Island.
Etc. 
Well I think I have at least a reasonable excuse for the former charge: after Eagle Island, our friends the Sterlings came over and joined us for dinner and an evening of sunburned fun (By "sunburned" I mean that the Sterlings are all very fair skinned and/or redheads, so when they get out into sunlight, they quickly turn delightful shades of pink. We Doolittles have it a little better). Meatballs, three-bean salad, ice cream, and exhaustion made it a night to savor. 
The second charge though is entirely my fault. I forgot my camera.
It was sitting, waiting, hopeful and expectant on my dresser. 
I packed my knitting.
I packed a book.
I packed a change of clothes.
I didn't pack the camera. 
Bah Humbug on me!
I think the worst thing about yesterday, though, wasn't my lack of camera, but the fact that I couldn't swim.
Not because I didn't want to, not because there was any restrictions put on me by the doctor, but because I merely...couldn't.
It was like that same wall that goes up between making, smelling, seeing, enjoying food, and being able to enjoy eating it. It wasn't even necessarily something I had to think about. I just looked at the water and knew I wouldn't be going in. Not even if I tried to force myself. It just...wasn't going to happen. So I sat shivering at the waterside, soaking up every bit of warmth that I could glean from the hot sun and sand, and spent the four hours we were there puttering between the shore and the shade, knitting and listening to my mother and Mrs. Sterling converse. 
Swimming used to be my favorite part about Summer.
And now I can't even bring myself to get into the water, because I know that I would immediately turn into a block of ice. My inability to get into the water was almost like my body committing a subconscious act of self-preservation against freezing to death. 
Just one more reason for me to rise up, beat this thing, and get better already.
But I had a grand time anyway, and I finished two knitting projects, and had fun talking about baby formulas and our revulsion of extremely pregnant women wearing revealing, two-piece bathing suits. (Seriously, ladies: if you're about to pop, you shouldn't be wearing a string bikini). 
Although I don't have pictures of yesterday's knitting projects (More bah humbugs!), I do have photos of my latest hat accomplishment.
*
*
*
 *
 I may be just a tad too proud of how it turned out, but I was certain of two things when I started (well, make that three).
1. The gauge was going to be off.
2. Those pleats were going to be the death of me to create.
3. The hat would probably be too big, I would run out of yarn, or some other disaster was going to stand between me and the finishing the item. 
But I was wrong! I knit it up, straight to gauge, the pleats were a breeze, and I adore the hat. The original patter has a grosgrain ribbon that goes goes right above the brim, wrapping around and tying in a cute bow, but I haven't decided whether or not I want to do that yet. The problem with adding a ribbon in a contrasting color is that you are then a little more limited as to what you can wear the hat with. And since it's already in a bit of a hard-to-pair-with color, well...we'll see. 
Also, on Sunday I had a fabulous time with my two best friends. After church, we went to the mall, and then hit my favorite frozen yogurt place- U-Swirl- where I introduced them to the deliciousness therein.
*
*
I love these two crazy people.
*
*
Well I have to pop off now- I have a rather lengthy list of things to do, phone calls to make, and a work day to steam through today, and I think some of the above may have to end up meshing (Doing more work on my work break may seem like an oxymoron, but I don't like letting time go to waste. Not that reading Jane Austen and eating a peanut-butter pita sandwich is time wasted or anything). 
As it is, I can't help but look forward to the things ahead of me today, confident that God has everything planned and if I let go of my plans, everything will be fantastic. 
Cheerio, dear lovelies!

8 comments:

Emily Rose said...

You made that hat? You are so talented! I. Love.

Mary said...

You are so stinkin' adorable, Grace!!! I just love your hat, you are so super talented! :) <3

Grace said...

Thank you! Knitting is so fun and *VERY* easy! You both should take it up! I call for an online, blogger knit-fest! I'll do video tutorials. :)

catmiller said...

I would LOVE to learn to knit like you. That hat is darling, just like the head under it! : )

Anonymous said...

Hello to all, it's actually a good for me to go to see this web site, it contains useful Information.

My weblog :: glazura szczecin

Anonymous said...

It is the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it is time to be happy.
I have learn this post and if I may just I desire
to recommend you some attention-grabbing things or advice.
Perhaps you could write next articles relating to this article.
I desire to learn more things about it!

My web blog; plytki lazienkowe

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, what a blog it is! This weblog gives valuable information to us, keep it up.


Also visit my homepage; brodziki sklep

Anonymous said...

e cig reviews, best electronic cigarettes, e cigarette, electronic cigarette starter kit, electronic cigarette brands, smokeless cigarettes