June 22, 2011

Happiness Is...

Happiness is...
The first truly hot day of the year.
*
*
Spending hours outside in the backyard, iced tea in hand, wide brimmed black hat perched stylishly on head, parked in an old blue lawn chair, knitting merrily away.
*
*
Sugary chewing gum that reminds you of being a child, and brings back a wave of nostalgia with every bite.
Gum that reminds you of the days gone past when, if you were given a dollar, you promptly ran to the nearest store and bought your favorite pack of gum, and were completely and utterly content and happy afterwards.
*
*
Happiness is...
laying stretched out on your bed, basking in the glow of the sunset as it pours through your window, reading a book so wonderful, it transports you from your world to someplace new.
*
*
Fields of flowers that you pass on the side of the road- inexplicable in their origin or purpose, but lovely none-the-less.
*
*
Boldly choosing to rebuke Satan, and to ignore the havoc he's trying to wreak in your heart; choosing, instead, to wear a smile and embrace the gift of that "Peace which passeth all understanding". Letting go of the worry that is creeping up on you, and picking the joy of a life redeemed. Praying to God to take your burdens away. And finding that it actually works.
*
*
Happiness is...
This dress.
*
*
These sunglasses.
*
*
Beautiful music.
*
*
The knowledge that you've had a day well spent.
*
*
Happiness is...
Finding bright color, great beauty, and simple, creative joy in the boring, sad, mundane things of everyday.
Finding the sun behind every dark cloud.
*
*
Spending an evening eating frozen yogurt and having a long, heart-to-heart talk with your mother; resolving painful questions, seeking God's guidance, growing closer, and laughing together.
*
*
Being able, for the first time in a long long time, to look forward with excitement to all the next day has to bring: challenges, triumphs, msitakes, lessons, joys, tears, adventures, and beauty.
*
Being so exultant about your day, that you do a second blog post in the same 24 hours. (*Sheepish grin*)
*
*
Happiness is...
The knowledge that-come what may- you are never unloved.
And you are never alone.
*
*
Are you happy?
"Rejoice in the Lord always: And again I say Rejoice." -Philippians 4:4

6 comments:

Madison said...

Mmm. Well, even if I wasn't happy before you just made me happy by reading this post. :]
Tho I must disagree on hot days. I've had those since March, and I'm kinda already ready for winter. ;P But besides that, I agree with all the happy things. <3

Rachel said...

J'adore this post! So many happy, gorgeous pictures! I wish I had half your talent, babe!!

Still praying for you and loving on you...good days are great, God days are even better. Yes, that was lame. But still. =)

Emily Rose said...

Beautiful post! I needed to read this so I could let go of my worries. Thank you Grace!
xo
Emily

Grace said...

I'm excited I get to spread the joy! :D
I'm a little jealous of your warm weather, Madi- it's been so very miserably cold here, that today's excessively hot temperatures felt like absolute, pure bliss.
Rachel: I take NO credit for most of those pictures! There's only two or three that I actually took: the rest were found on weheartit and pinterest, and a few of those edited by me.
And that wasn't TOO lame...but it is entirely true! :)
Emily: I will admit that however simply happy I felt while writing it, I felt even MORE absurdly happy AFTER. There's a smile bug going around... >.> :)

Mary said...

Happiness is...
reading this and the warm feeling that came over me:)

Love this dearie!!!

Megan said...

this is such a beautiful post!
I loved the part about rebuking Satan and choosing our God of Peace instead. super inspiring!

Megan
letterstorome.blogspot.com