June 22, 2011

The Golden Hour

Silence.
Like a warm blanket, covering the entire house and casting strange shadows throughout it; shadows not perceivable during the loud hustle and bustle of the day.
But they're there now.
Not so much visible shadows as shadows felt. Shadows cast by many things: the light tunes of the mockingbirds and swallows that are already eating breakfast, wheeling in the sky in a sort of exultant greeting-the-day. The smell of fresh cut grass- bejeweled with dew drops from the early morning sprinklers- that hangs in the air, unhampered by the aromas of people and breakfast food. 
It's as if everything is at a standstill- a wrinkle in time- and I, clad in pajamas, clutching a mug of hot tea, Bible open before me, get to be firsthand witness to the powerful magic that is the dawn of a new day. 
The dusky shadows- hues of grey and blue- are settled lightly over everything, just barely keeping the rosy colors of morning from dominating.
And then there is light.
Unfiltered, beautiful, golden fingers, that reach out, grasp the windows, doors, and finally push through to find the floor, the chair, the table, and, finally, me.
I feel like I've been touched by the hand of Midas, as if everything has been turned to solid gold. The house takes on life, waking up and rubbing its eyes, and the objects surrounding me suddenly seem so lifelike. 
The sky outside is a charming shade of light powder blue, with peach and coral-tinged clouds scudding their way across the expanse of my limited horizon. But for once, I don't care that my view is blocked by the roofs of other houses. I am content to be with the light and in the light. I am content with the silence that I have been given.
But, like the golden hour of down, silence doesn't last.
The sun moves on in the sky, seeming to rush as if apologetic for spending so much time waking up. 
The house, now lit, stirs lightly, and the steady stream of people begins like a slow leak down the stairs: first a brother, then mother, then another brother...
The smells are masked and changed, covered by that of sunscreen, coffee, and toast.
Soon, I can't hear the birds, just the chatter of people. 
I soon forget the steady, quiet pace of morning as I engage with others, and start to build my plans for the day; comings and goings, wishes, hopes.
But there is one light, one peace, one joy that will not be diminished or changed, no matter what hustle and bustle the day may bring, nor how far across the sky the sun goes. 
And that is this:
"In Him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not... That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew him not. He came unto His own, and His own received Him not. But as many as received Him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name...And of His fulness have we all recieved, and grace for grace."- John 1:4-5; 9-12; 16.
"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."- Matthew 5: 14-16.
*
(Just so you all know, I prayed for each and every one of my blogger pals today. If I knew of a specific request or struggle, I was able to pray a little more specifically. If not, then I prayed that you would be given the strength to get through the day and to face any struggles you may be going through, and that God would bless you with a joyful heart, and give you encouragement beyond compare.)
Now, go forth and shine as lights.
:)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I simply adore this post. Already this morning, God has turned my mourning into dancing. And this post was just another highlight in my day...another Word straight from heart of God.

I love you, I continually pray for you, and you are an inspiration in my life. <3

Sarah Michelle said...

I love, love, love this post! So beautiful! And today feels like a good day. It feels like a day for getting things done! :) Praying that your day stays beautiful all day long. :)

Emily Rose said...

You are such a good writer! I can feel the warmth as I read this.:)

Grace said...

I hope your days are all going spiffingly right now! I've had a rather nice one myself, and I must say that it had a lot to do with the way the day started, and my being able to put this post out into the blog-void. *Peers into blog-void*