June 10, 2011

All Things Bright And Beautiful

Good morning, blogger-oos! 
Do you know what today is? 
That's right! 
It's the first official day of...
*drumroll*
The All Things Bright & Beautiful Blog Party!!
*

 
*
*Wildly throws confetti and marches around*
This, my first blog party (so bear with me and my craziness!), will be a one week event (or ordeal?) starting today and extending 'till next Friday. 
I've been so inspired by the (almost) hot weather we've been having here, the longer days, the schools that are letting out, and all of the beautiful, simple things and feelings that whisper "Summer" to me. 
What is your idea of Summer?
What feelings, sights, smells do you associate with this season? 
I realized the other day, as I sat on a blanket in the grass, that Summer has always seemed less a season and more of a sensation, a feeling, to me. 
"Season" is too scientific a term.
It's an era.
An era of warmth, simplicity, freedom, and unfettered happiness.
It's when all of that extra vitamin D you're getting goes straight to your head and you become like a child again, or some simpler, happier form of yourself. The you that, during the stressed and busy school year, you forget exists. Summer is just the time when that you finds the means to escape for a short while.
*
*
The verse that has somewhat sparked and inspired this here blog party is Psalm 19:1-4.
"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard. Their line has gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world."
So, without further ado, let the blog party begin!
I decided to start things out a little easy, so today's posty-post is your Summer Bucket List.
Yes, you read that correctly: Summer Bucket List.
What are some of the things that you desperately want to do this Summer?
Things that you've never done or never had a chance to do before? Things that you do every year as a tradition? Things that you have always longed to do but are resolved to do this time? 
The mundane.
The insane.
Everything. 
Here's mine:
1. Do a lot of hiking. I love hiking. I've never really done much of it in Idaho, though. It's a pity, because I know there are some lovely, lovely spots in the mountains. I'm determined to go this year, even though I'm not supposed to do exercise that will be particularly cardiovascular.
2. Make a pen pal (or two, or three, or four...!). I *love* mail, but I so seldom get any! I'm absolutely craving  at least one pen pal to correspond with at least for the Summer. (If anyone's interested in being said pen pal...email me!!)
3. Be involved in more community activities. Well, community ish. I'm thinking of things like Boise's Alive After Five, and the Dairy Days Parade. I love the sense of community Idaho has, and I'm determined to take part in it this year. I don't want to sit inside every evening this Summer like I have all the years past. I want to do things.
4. Be so very crafty. I'd love to spend the entire summer chunnering out all sorts of crafty, knitted and otherwise, delights. So I shall. There's this one papier mache teacup project that I've got my eye on...
5. Read.
And read.
And read.
Read books inside.
Read books outside.
Read books while drinking lemonade.
Read books while eating food.
Spend hours at the library.
Read.
*
*
6.I am determined to really beat down my anorexia this Summer and anything that goes with it: Vanity, the sinful body-image I seem to have adopted, how I look at food, and how I look at myself. I'm going to seek counseling, because I can feel myself being pulled under the tide of it all. I've been facing a looming depression for the past two weeks, and have begun to develop OCD tendencies in areas, and am becoming an irritable person. I can only do this with Christ's strength, but I know he will not disappoint me with a measly supply of it. All things are possible through Him. The battles may be hard, but it's a comfort to know that the war is already won!
7. Memorize large quantities of scripture. And I mean large quantities. My mother got me a new Bible for my graduation gift, and I can't wait to get it. I'm going to put it to good use!
8. Grow my nails out. I know this sounds silly, but they refuse to grow, always have. I've gotten some Sally Hensen nail-grow stuff and am already working hard at actually having elegant nails. 
9. Create my own knitting pattern. I want to design and knit a cardigan or sweater all on me onesy. I've altered patterns in the past, but I've never, from scratch, made my own.
10. Travel more. I know- I'm a gypsy: I'm always traveling. But I'd like to move outside of Idaho a little more. There's 0% chance of that happening, but I'm so in love with the idea of it.
11. Participate in this year's VBS (if there is one). If our church has it's second vacation Bible school this year, I'd like to be a little more involved. My work makes it hard to do something like be an assistant or anything, but I could at least help with meals or something.
12. See a musical or play. I love musicals (hence why I'm going to study musical theater), and I'm determined I will attend a musical, play, or even the Shakespeare festival this year.
13. Bike more. I don't have a bike, but I can borrow my mother's. Biking is one of the few sports I can now do, because it won't strain my heart (Yeah, anorexia= heart damage= little cardio exercise allowed. Also because I might try to obsessively exercise to make up for the "extra" food I'm eating. It's horrible, but my mind has a mind of it's own). So yes. Biking.
*
*
14. More family activities. I don't care if I have to be the one to cart them all around and plan things myself, pack the lunches, and kick them into place. I'm not going to let us all sit around like lumpy-lumps this year. Meridian has a lot to offer- a community pool, picnics in the park around the corner (with a splash pad); lots.
15. Do more dinner dates with my mom. The other evening was such fun, I'd really like to do it more often. Even if all we do is grab lunch, or eat a frozen yogurt and shop in the evening, we need more mom/daughter dates.
16. Be kinder to my siblings. God shows such love towards me, it's embarrassing how greatly I fail at showing that love to others, especially how little I pass on to my own siblings.
17. Organize a youth group activity. Our church has a lot of great things going on, but the teens never do much together. I'm going to arrange at least one fun outing this summer. I think it would be fun to do a house-cleaning/yard work for the seniors at church. 
18. Go on the church camping trip. Yes!
*
*
19. Spend more time with friends. I have a certain Brianne I'd particularly like to get in on this plan. Especially since there's a mall right around the corner from where she works, and a Starbucks in the same parking lot. *wink*
20. Help those in need. I feel horrible because I'm so blessed yet complain all the time about what I don't have. It's high time I were faced with the real struggles everyone else deals with, and helped them instead of complained about myself.
21. Get my driver's license. I'm so close, yet so far. I'm getting there.
Hooray! 
Now, be sure to link up below and pass it on! Let's get as many people to this party as possible, so they too can join the fun! I've got lots planned for the next week, so check back every day!
Cheerio!

2 comments:

Emily Rose said...

This sounds so fun! I'm going to link up as soon as I can.:)

Rachel said...

I know that I wrote this post in response to another person's blog, but it just seemed so applicable to the question you posed. <3