May 24, 2011

Room With A View

You Know Summer's Coming When:
The sun wakes you up in the morning.
You find yourself happier to get out of bed than you can ever remember.
When you do your Sun Salutations you actually feel like embracing the sun (Don't do it though; that would hurt).
You start putting on a layer of sunscreen every morning.
Fresh fruit and veggie stands start popping up on the side of the road.
The flyers in the local supermarket boast of things like summer camps and weekend farmer's markets. 
You are facing finals in school.
You find more reasons to go outside.
You start thinking about camping trips and hiking outings.
You begin to crave ice-cold lemonade or a snow cone.
You want to barbecue for dinner.
The grass seems more inviting and comfortable than the park bench.
You have to shop for new t-shirts and get this year's bathing suit.
You can't stop smiling. 
*
All of these are things that I've been noticing or doing for the past several days or weeks.
I'm so very excited for the activities of this week.
Ironically enough, graduation day (Saturday) isn't really the first thing I think of- it's the preparations, and the busyness, and the time with friends, and the plethora of school-free activities that are presenting themselves that I'm excited for. I care less about Saturday afternoon as I do about that morning and the evening. I care less about walking the aisle and receiving my diploma as I do dancing back up it and how tickled I am at the idea of not being able to see the darkened crowd before me from my center-stage seat.
It has been a journey, but wearing a blue robe and dorky hat during a ceremony seems to have very little to do with where one ends and where one begins. To me, it seems more about how I handle it than what I do with it. "Are you excited for your graduation?" people ask. I can't say that I am. I'm much more excited about what I will do with my graduation, where God will lead me.
(I hope He leads me to some cupcakes and a never-emptying mug of tea.)
*
 *
*
*
Oh! 
I did take pictures of my new cupcakey decor! 
I do love it- especially the little stand.
*
 *
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Those last two shots are me playing around with the cool morning lighting that happened to be hitting the items I keep in the cupcake dish. The bottom one- my two favorite rings that I wear daily- is my favorite. 
Admittedly I did steal the idea for hanging earrings off of a cake tray from Miss Indie, but I don't think she'll mind. 
Also, I'm really not entirely sure what I'm going to do with that large tray, but I really did like it, and at $4, it was too good a deal to pass up. I'm enjoying the mental image currently running through my mind. It's an image that involves carrying breakfast (a bowl of cereal topped with fresh fruit, a mug of tea, and whatever else I'm told to eat) on the tray up to my room, and taking breakfast in bed while reading some delicious book. Really, Jane Austen is great on lazy Saturday mornings, but, then again, there's little that can rival Arthur Conan Doyle on a lackadaisical morning either (and occasionally this leads to some Agatha Christie afterwards. What can I say? I have no self-control!)
Speaking of breakfast in bed, I thought, as I was taking pictures, I might as well snap some of the new bedding set that I got a few weeks ago. 
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Isn't it purty? I went from being a blue and green gal to being surrounded by orange, yellow, green, and...pink? I actually like it. Mostly because one of the quilt square pattern designs have cherry blossoms on them. 
I'm proud of that little corner shelf, by the way- I put that up there all by myself. I know, I'm being silly, but there was a lot of measuring, leveling, and hammering involved, and it's perfectly straight. You'd be proud too.
Also, I never like the way my paintings look in pictures. The top one is especially awkward looking, and always comes across much shinier, discolored, and off-kilter than it is in real life. I guess that must be the nature of oil paints when viewed through the lens of a cheap point-and-shoot camera.
 *Sigh*
Welp, I'm off to go a-tromping around our neighborhood for a bit, which I hope will be followed by some yoga stretches and a mug of Tazo Vanilla Rooibos.
(No, I'm not going to cheat and drink tea- I went ahead and bought the new Tazo Vanilla Rooibos concentrate yesterday in an effort to be able to drink tea and follow the rules. Like their chai concentrate, it is sweetened and meant to have milk added, so I will at least be getting calories while "filling up". But also, like their chai, it might be kind of nasty too. I don't care for Tazo's chai concentrate, but I do usually get their vanilla rooibos loose-leaf tea as my "normal" drink whenever I'm at Starbucks. This will just be a tea latte, I guess. See how low I'm willing to go in an effort to have tea?!)
Who knows: with the weather looking the way it is, I may have to forgo the mug and make it iced. 
Do you have any plans for the day?
What about for the week- any graduations coming up you plan to attend?
Cheerio ladies and gents!

5 comments:

Emily Rose said...

This was such an inspirational post! Congraduations grad!

Kori Donahue said...

I can't wait for summer! It's my favorite time of the year. Congratulations! Have you heard my good news about the paperback version of my novel? I hope you can head over and check it out! Have a fabulous day honey! Kori xoxo

www.blondeepisodes.com

Kaley Grace said...

Giiiirl, I love your positivity and your taste in room-decor. Smuper cute. And totally inspired me to go make my bed and get my room lookin' as fresh and tidy as yours does!! :)

Grace said...

Thanks Emily!
Kori: I got it on PC Kindle the day it came out! Fun stuff!

Kaley: It only LOOKS clean here. I share the room with my little sister, and I was kicking and moving her junk around the entire time I took pictures. Admittedly, though, my bed was already made, and I generally keep my stuff organized.
Generally.
>.>

uhooi said...

Very nice this blog!
visit our blog at http://uhooi.blogspot.com/