May 26, 2011

An Insatiable Case of Carpe Diem

Morning

Sunrise
Open my eyes

And I can tell it's gonna be a good day

I can tell it's gonna be a good day

Did you sleep well?

Did you dream at all?
Can you tell me the time
On the alarm clock?

I can tell it's gonna be a good day

I can tell it's gonna be a good day

but you can sleep in

You just keep dreamin'
For us

I can tell it's gonna be a good day
*
"This is the day that the Lord hath made; I will rejoice and be glad in it"-  Psalm 118:24
*
Good morning and good day all of you lovely lovelies! 
It's a bee-oo-ti-ful morning here in Meridian Idaho, and I am somewhere between working on my high school transcript and preparing for a neighborhood stroll.
It's going to be a marvelous day.
 It rained and stormed and thundered all night, and I was almost certain that we would wake to find it dark and wet today, but lo and behold! Sunshine! I awoke with eager anticipation to read my Bible and greet the day.
And greet the day I shall! Today marks the last day I will work as a high-schooler (not that this means much- I don't think things will be any different when I go to work next week as a "graduate", but it's a fun excuse to feel special). 
I am determined to remain cheerful, no matter what awaits me at work. No matter how many people I have to seat, or how crazy or busy we get. I am a firm believer that a work day will go only as well as your attitude lets it. If you're feeling gloomy and testy, your workday- the people you meet, the way you react to circumstances- will be testy and gloomy as well. However, "a merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance": that is, if you're truly happy, then it will rub off on other people, and change how you look at the stress placed before you. 
I can feel Vanity trying to get the better of me already: she pushed and pulled all throughout breakfast.
She tried to sway my mind and choices ("Mom's not here: you can eat less than that!" "I can't believe you're going to actually even consider digesting that- do you know how fattening granola is? And peanut butter?!" "Ugh, you disgust me!" "If you turn into a pig, it's all your fault!" "Listen to me, Grace. The doctor doesn't care about how you look- she could care less if you turn into a blimp. She'd probably call it healthy." "Isn't this difficult? Is it really necessary for you to fight me? Remember when you didn't? Life was so much easier! Listen to me now, and you won't have to struggle. No effort! No stress! I'll make you great! Things can be easy again!"). These are just a few of the many things that go tickling down my inner ear and make everything hard. I've been obeying and heeding her voice without my knowing it for so long, that I feel like I'm in a constant battle with myself every second now that I do. She leads me to obsess over my eating and now even my exercise. Poor Prudence (the good half of my brain) has been neglected and seldom heard for who knows how long. She's already shy as it is, so I'm hard pressed to even remember her, much less stand up for her cause.
However, Vanity is not me. I am battling myself, yes, but I am not the real enemy here. I am battling Vanity and that portion of me she has enlisted in her army. But you want to hear something fabulous?
My army's bigger.
"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds. Casting down imaginations and every high thing which exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."- 2 Corinthians 10: 3-5
These verses are the most encouraging words I have ever- or will ever- hear. They send Vanity packing, and in a handful of minutes I am able to feel strong in the Lord, and happy, and I suddenly have every desire to seize the day. I am not Vanity, and she is not me. I've begun to see that Vanity is the popular one, the head of the cool crowd, with whom everyone hangs out or wants to know. Prudence is the quiet, shy, good girl. But I get that feeling that, while everyone hangs out with Vanity, she really doesn't have any friends, and that everyone really likes Prudence, but are afraid of being her friend because she's not cool enough.
I never did like the cool crowd.
So here is my declaration that I will now be happy, seize the day, and rejoice in all the Christ has given me! I sincerely hope that you are willing and able to do the same!
Also, the discovery of the day is that peanut butter granola is not only delicious, but is absolutely dreamy with fresh strawberries, milk, and and a mug of green chai tea. 
Yum-o! 
Cheerio!

5 comments:

Emily Rose said...

Good morning! Though it's cloudy here, It's not cold, and that alone made my day.:)

Rachel said...

Good morning to you too!

You and I seem to fight a similar battle...Vanity and I have exchanged words already today.

Keep the fight, stay strong.
<3

mary☀ann said...

Thanks for the comment! I followed you back. Your blog is beautiful!

Grace said...

Good EVENING now!
Emily: it's gotten rainy again. Ya boo to the bad weather. There's always tomorrow, though!
Rachel: I'm pretty sure Vanity is the greatest enemy out there (besides Satan, and I think they're siblings, quite honestly), but my references to Vanity usually have more to do with my eating disorder: Vanity is what I call that "half" of my brain that is causing my issues. I just did a blog post about it all last Friday, so if you're wondering what all I'm talking about that's probably the best place to start.
And thank you SO much for the encouragement!! I wish the same for you. Isn't it wonderful to be led into battle by the Lord?
Mary Ann: <3

Jazzie said...

Cute blog!
I admit to stalking all your lovely posts;)
xxo, Jazzie
from: www.jsheaa.blogspot.com