May 30, 2011

Grajumication

Hooray!
It's done!
I've graduated! 
...
!!!
(Y'know it's kind of ironic how this all hits and sinks in two days after it actually happened, whereas on Saturday I was engaged in a constant battle to stay awake and alert). 
Saturday was a long, long day- aproximately 8:00 AM to somewhere after midnight- and full of so much activity. Friday probably wasn't the best night to have trouble sleeping but, looking back, if I had been as awake and alert as I should have been on Saturday, things would have been way more stressful, and the likelihood of my messing up/tripping/spacing out would have been an almost guarantee. As it is, I was in a state of semi-glazed zombie-mode, and thus things went smoothly and easily. 
The thing I remember most is being absolutely freezing, then eating a slice of cheese pizza at lunch and promptly wanting to go take a long nap somewhere.
The ladies who ran the thing probably wouldn't like to hear me say that most of the information they gave us during the day and rehearsal went straight in one ear and out the other, but hey: I didn't mess up, so I guess it no longer matters! 
In the end, the ceremony went very smoothly, the only (hilarious) miscommunication being between our MC (Senator McGee) and the coordinator (Mrs. Richter) over who would ask people to rise and sit. So all that practice of sitting and rising "as a unit" was tossed completely down the drain as we were taken by surprise and found ourselves popping up and down at odd intervals. 
But I'm pretty sure the only person who cared about that was Mrs. Richter.
(Probably the only person who noticed, too). 
Here are some pics of the graduation ceremony, as taken by my wonderful friends Mr. and Mrs. Wong.

*
*

Brianne! She looked so cute in her hat and robe; the rest of us just came across as ugly blue penguins.
*
*
*
*

I was in the front row, which required extra stillness and trying to look especially pleasant. It didn't really work, I think, but apparently I remembered to smile at least once.
*
*

On my way to accept my diploma. 
I didn't trip. 
*smug grin*
*
*
*
*
*
*

I love my family. I look so...normal...here. Proof that I really wasn't feeling 100% awake and myself.
*
*
Afterwards, Brianne and I shared a graduation party at her house. 
It wasn't until the coffee I downed upon arriving that I realized how tired I had truly been, and what all had occurred. It was a fantastic time, and there was just enough food for everyone, with really no leftovers to speak of: perfectly planned, I must say!
Mrs. Long (Brianne's lovely mother) was a wonderful hostess, and was kind enough to get both Brianne and myself our own cakes. 
*
*
*
*
In the end, I'm surprised at how quickly it all flew by, and also at my new outlook. 
It went from being "something silly" on Friday, to "an incredible day of my life" on Saturday night. 
The many gifts and congratulations have been so fantastic- I am an extraordinarily blessed girl, and I have teared up more than once this weekend as I've come to see how richly. 
My favorite part of all this would have to be the cards I received. 
(No, not the ones with money. Actually, those were a surprise to me. Up until a month ago I had no idea that people gave you money and gifts on graduation. I sent invites out to my friends, relatives, and anyone else I thought would like to know I was graduating, and back came money and gift-cards. I was so bewildered! My mother is still laughing at me). 
No, my favorite cards have been the ones full of encouragement, and kind words; the ones that told me I am being prayed for, and given with a list of Bible passages to look up.
These cards have been so encouraging to me, and have provided so much hope for the future, that I am no longer afraid at anything to come, as unexpected as it may be. 
I am leaning on the Everlasting Arms, and they will never let me fall. 
Thank you everyone who has helped me make it this far! Especially to my mother, who decided to home school me in the first place, and thus was the chief influence and greatest sculptor of who I am. I love her tons and am incredibly indebted to her. 
*
Now it's time for Summer!
I want to pause for a moment here and reflect on the meaning of this holiday- in memory of all of our troops both fallen and fighting. My brother-in-law and many almost-brothers are in the armed forces, fighting to preserve our freedom and protect the nation God started so long ago. We are so blessed to have men and women willing to go to the front lines ready to give their lives for us. It's an incredible thing they do, and we so easily forget about them. 
*
*
Now I'm off to go get some blank newsprint, come home (five miles of walking: I can't believe how much morning trekking high school kept me from participating in!), and make a mask for a friend. And then, to stretch the limits of Vanity a little further(who has been a real pill this weekend, what with all the snacking and fun that's been going on), may end up having a peanut butter milkshake or smoothie. Depends on if Shake n' Take Burgers down the road is open or not, or if I have to make it myself with Greek Yoghurt and my own peanut butter. 
What are your plans for the day?
Love to you all!
Cheerio!

6 comments:

Emily Rose said...

Congratulations! That sounds like the perfect day.:)

Mary said...

Congratulations!!! You and Brianne both look absolutely GORGEOUS!!! <3 <3 God bless you!

Grace said...

Thank you ladies! Despite the zombie-ness, it *was* as perfect day. :)

Rick_D_Anderson said...

Hey! If it makes you feel any better i couldn't tell you were zombified o.O :) congrats again!

Grace said...

It was more of a zombie brain thing. I went into auto-mode and went through the motions, but I wasn't computing anything.

Dancing Through Life said...

congratulations! you must be relieved to have it over with (i hope you got caught up on sleep) despite your lack of awakedness, you lookes great.
i just came accross your blog and am thoroughly enjoying it.