March 2, 2011

Thoughts Of Spring

Photobucket

I came across this button over at Red Shoes this morning, and wanted to join in so much I haven't even given it a second thought. So, without further ado, here is my first Blog Party post!

How would people describe your personality? (If they could only use ONE word.) Are they right?
This is an excellent question. I don't believe it has an answer, though.
Well, not a one word answer.
Some likely candidates are: crazy, spastic, strange, restless, eclectic, and confusing. I like "eclectic" the most, but I think that's because it's the one that comes closest to paying a compliment to my strange ways and behaviors.


What celebrity/celebrities would create a “Star-Struck” feeling if you saw them in real life?
Jesus Christ and Matthew McFadyen. 
(In case you're wondering, I was infatuated with him long before his appearance as Mr. Darcy. His portrayal as Mr. Darcy was merely the icing on an Oh-so-yummy cake).)




Are you a hopeless romantic?
It depends on the day of the week and what poetry I happen to have been reading. For instance, Poe on a Wednesday is an absolute no, but Poe on a Friday afternoon is quite another matter, although it makes for a more macabre romantic than is probably intended. I think I should stick to Keats on Fridays and Shakespeare on Saturdays.


What is your comfort food/drink? 
Drink: tea. Any kind, as long as it's good tea.
Food: Cupcakes and/or peanut butter. Especially peanut butter cupcakes. 


Be brave – tell us something very random and weird about yourself.
I love historical costume. I would gladly go and live in Williamsburg and take up life as a tourist attraction there without so much as a second thought. There are days that I wander around the house in the most regency style my closet can supply (which is quite a lot) and I have a plethora of costume supplies of some sort or other. I also often go to work looking very 1940-50s, but that's because I'm not brave enough to try and show up in full Civil War era gear. 


What is your greatest fear or strange phobia?
I will cheat and tell you two. I am afraid of spiders.
And I am afraid of large birds. 
The spiders don't have a source, per say- I never had a traumatizing experience. But when I see one, I become glue to the spot and I sometimes begin to feel nauseous. 
The birds thing IS plausible, to a point. One day last summer, as I was walking to the library down and old country road, a very large hawk started circling my head. It wasn't until the way back that I really began to get scared, because it started dive-bombing me. Imagine a giant bird (hawks are much large up front than you think), plummeting towards your head, and being able to feel its talons grazing and catching at your hair. I don't think I've ever run so fast in my life- the cars on the main road were honking at me, and one man even leaned out of his window to yell at me to keep running. That was, by far the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. Now that it's Winter, we can see the makings of a nest in the top of a tree a few hundred yards away. I would have never supposed a hawk would attack a person, much less a person walking so far from their nest, but all I do know is that now, when I see birds of prey (no matter how small) and I have to walk near them, I have a mini panic-attack. My subconscious would appear to have been traumatized and now hates me, because there are times where I, for the life of me, cannot get my feet to go down that old path, if i happen to see even a magpie sitting on the wire. 
There. Scary story for the day.
Moving on! 




Movies: Action, Drama, Romantic Comedy, Documentary, Comedy? What are your favorite genres?
I love Masterpiece Theater and BBC. I would rather watch their shows than anything else, but I usually have to wait until Sunday Night's at 9:00 PM, or watch one of the many DVDs I have in my collection. I also spring myself onto the Library's healthy supply quite often as well. I love British telly shows, and think I understand and enjoy the humor far more than I ever have or will for American shows. 
I also love my Jane Austen movie adaptations, and would save them from a burning house (along with my book collection. I'd have a lot to carry...better plan on making two trips...)


Books: Fiction, Non-Fiction, Romance, Biographies, True Stories, Self-Help, Devotional/Study? What are your favorite types of reading material?
Baaaaad question. I love so many books, we could be on this topic forever...
I adore the classics- Shakespeare, Chaucer, and the like- and adore poetry. Oscar Wilde is a favorite as well as Jane Austen, Dumas, Dickens, Doyle, and Carroll. I also love children's stories and literature: give me some Roald Dahl and I am as happy as bear in a berry patch. Present day authors seem to be a little harder to garner, as good literature seems scarce to nonexistent these days (We're lookin' at you, Twilight!). However, I do love Joan Bauer, Libba Bray, Diana Wynn Jones, Jerry Spinelli, Katherine Pearl-McPhee, and Seth Graham-Smith (to name but a few).


Music: Funk, Rock, Country, Jazz, Classical, Film Score, Blues, Classic Rock, Crooner, Alternative, Heavy Metal, Techno? What are your favorite types?
I listen to anything and everything but what they're playing on the radio (excepting the classical station, of course). I grew up on purely classical music, and I do love film scores as well as Big Band Swing/1930-early 60's vocalists like Aretha Franklin, Fred Astaire, and Nat King Cole. I listen mostly to obscure artists and adore folk/folk rock and anything with acoustic guitar (Warning: a little slide guitar goes a long way with me. I don't go in for that super-duper country stuff. Makes me feel as if my cat's dying, and I don't even own a cat. Bleh).


What movie or book character can you most relate to?
I sometimes feel like Marianne Dashwood- a poetry lover, overly romantic and melodramatic girl surrounded by people who couldn't care less for the subject. I too tend to wear my heart on my sleeve and act rashly. We also swoon at the first man to write a poem and affect to be gallant, when all along they are the worst thing for us. 
I wish I was more like Rosalind from As You Like It. Or Elizabeth Bennet. Or Stargirl.


Name one weakness of yours (confession is good for the soul).
Cupcakes.
Oh my soul, my kingdom for a cupcake!

Well, I don't need to worry about that, because I'm the Cupcake Queen and my kingdom happens to be made up of cupcakes (you loyal subjects, you!).




If you could live anywhere at all (and take all your loved ones with you), where would you go?
I would love to live in a gypsy cart and roam around. And then I would like to settle down in England or Ireland. If I'm restricted to the US, then Seattle Washington, all the way!


What is one of your favorite things to catch a whiff of?
The air up at Sardine Lake. I love it there. When I was little, I thought the air was magic because it smelled so good. Very...mountain-ey...and fresh....
Besides that, I'd go for catching a whiff of baking goodies while I'm taking a sip of tea. 


When you leave a social gathering, do you wish: You would have talked more or You would have talked less?
Less.
There's a reason people refer to me as "The Thing That Won't Shut Up".


If money wasn’t a factor, what stores would you shop in?
Etsy, thrift stores, the fabric store (I'm a Do It Yourself kind of girl) and (admittedly) Anthropology and Chanel. 
I'd choose Anthropology over Chanel, though.


What are your favorite animals?
Cats. 
I love cats, and they love me: I get followed by them as I wander the neighborhood.
I'm not thinking of that poster of the adorable kitten in a red high-heeled shoe kind of cat, I'm thinking along the more mysterious and un-adorable lines. Cats were not meant to be put into little handbags. Cats have secrects.
Mwuahaha.
I also love porcupines and river otters.
Porcupines like to eat potato chips.
In case you're wondering...



10 comments:

Lily said...

Judging from your answers, I'd say you and I are pretty alike. ;) I dream of living in Williamsburg too, I want to travel Ireland and England, and I HATE bugs!!!! Coowall. *giggles*

~Lily

Polka Dot said...

I loved reading this. :) I love porcupines, too! But I've never uh.. gotten to spend time with them. :) Have you??

Christina said...

Oooo I just love Mr. Darcy too....Maybe a little Mr. Knightly to go with it would be nice. ; )

Hannah said...

For instance, Poe on a Wednesday is an absolute no, but Poe on a Friday afternoon is quite another matter, although it makes for a more macabre romantic than is probably intended. I think I should stick to Keats on Fridays and Shakespeare on Saturdays. Hee hee...that made me laugh. Make sure to sneak in a bit of Austen in there, though! Perhaps a bit of Persuasion on Saturday after Shakespeare...? ;) And ohmygoodness! That would have freaked me out to have that bird dive-bombing me. Too scary! I'm most definitely with you regarding modern literature -- it's hard to find a gem in the midst of Twilight and whatnot. Some authors that I do love (modern day) are Shannon Hale, Lois Lowry, and Ted Dekker. And other favorites include J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, L. M. Montgomery, and of COURSE, Jane Austen. :)

It was nice to "meet" you! Have a lovely day! :)
--Hannah

Grace said...

Lily: It's great to find someone else who shares many of the same burdens and strange reasonings: it makes one feel not entirely alone and crazy in the world. ;)

Polka Dot: I WISH! I picked up a book published in the fifties from the library, full of black and white photos of the author- who was crazy about porcupines, discussing everything on them there is to be known. He even went so far as to mention their love of potato chips. :D

I love Mr. Knightly as well, and I must say I wouldn't mind some of the Tilney wit and Wentworth steadiness either. ;D

Hannah: There is ALWAYS Jane Austen. ALWAYS. She's perfect for reading during a hot bubble bath, and was made to be read over afternoon tea. Persuasion is, and always will be, my favorite. Can't forget Tennyson either!

Shannon Hale is one of my favorites, as is Gail Carson Levine. Have you ever read the Redwall series by Brian Jacques?

Thank you all for stopping by! Your comments make my day. :')

Brianne said...

Your personality is lovely, peanut butter, Seattle, and Anthropologie are Love, and spiders can stuff it. >:) I like you.

Grace said...

Oh. i love cupcakes too.
AND we have the same name!

Jennifer said...

I found another Jane Austen lover. Mr. Darcy? YES! I feel like Marianne a lot too. :)

Amy said...

Nice to get to know you a bit. Hmm peaunut butter cupcakes. I might have to check that out...

Linda said...

I think your post was one of the most unique!

I love Mr. Darcy too!

Happy Saturday!