March 11, 2011

Peanut Butter


I. Love. Peanut Butter.
When I wake up in the morning, stretch, go downstairs and start a pot of tea, and think "breakfast", the second word that comes to mind is Peanut Butter (The first word that comes to mind is Cupcakes, of course, and the third is usually Greek Yoghurt. After these initial three come the combos- Peanut Butter Cupcakes, Peanut Butter in Greek Yoghurt, etc). 
But it all comes down to the peanut butter. 
I.
Love.
Peanut Butter.

And not that Skippy or Jiff stuff- I'm talking good, organic, nothing-but-peanuts-and-salt Peanut Butter. My mother buys Kirkland's 100% organic Peanut Butter, (A glance at the ingredients label? Peanuts and Salt. That's all. Delish!) but what I really love is the stuff you can grind yourself at the local WinCo. Not only is it absolutely delicious, but you know there's nothing else going in there but the peanuts. It's also lower calorie and more nutritious because there isn't nearly as much oil in it as in the jar kind.

Want to hear a true story?
Grace goes to the doctor with her mother. Grace has had a few health problems and also needs a regular check up. The doctor asks Grace about herself, what she likes to do, and anything she feels compel to mention health wise. Grace lists a few things, pauses, and says "I crave peanut butter. Sometimes it all I can think about, especially when I'm hungry. So I eat it. Lots of it." and looks quite sheepish. The doctor proceeds to inform Grace that, although it is strange, of all the things to be craving, peanut butter is a good thing. She then mentions that due to the information relayed, Grace quite technically is suffering from an addiction (again: technically). 
(Grace decides not to mention that she often feels the same way about cupcakes. 
She doesn't think the doctor would call that an commendable addiction: just a sad obsession.)

So, I eat lots of peanut butter.
Lots.
I have the occasional feverish dream about it. 
Most mornings, when I wake up and think of the inevitable two words, I ignore them and opt for swirling Greek Yoghurt in my porridge. However, this morning I indulged myself, thus inspiring an entire, pointless blog post about my second greatest love and passion. 

(Image created by me! I'm perhaps a little too proud of this.)

*drool*









Of course, I could never do a post like this without at least one photo of cupcakes included!!

I hope you're all having a fabulous and fancy Friday! 
Indulge in some peanut butter! 

*Also*
Please remember to pray for the Tsunami victims in Japan and on the coast of America! They need our help and our prayers!

4 comments:

Brianne said...

PB addicts UNITE to NOM! This is the best post ever. :D

Callie Nicole said...

Oh my, this post is making me hungry! I'm a peanut butter fan too - this post made me laugh!

I just came across your blog, and I've been enjoying reading it! :-)

Grace said...

Peanut butter lovers UNITE! (And eat some peanut butter cupcakes).

Thank you!

Jon said...

A few points: Costco doesn't make Kirkland Organic anymore. They still have Kirkland Natural, but it's not organic, and it's made with all Valencia peanuts, as opposed to Kirkland Organic, which was a blend of Valencias and Spanish.

My second point: Don't don't don't grind your own peanut butter at the corner natural foods store: the peanuts tend to be much higher in aflatoxin, a carcinogenic mold (or fungus, if you prefer) that is ordinarily found in low but safe levels in peanut butter. It probably won't do you any harm at the grind-your-own joint either, but why take chances? This information comes to me from a guy who used to work in the lab at Consumers Union, which publishes Consumer Reports.

Finally, my book "Creamy and Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food," will be published in the fall of 2012 by Columbia University Press. You can learn more about it here: http://www.creamyandcrunchy.com