March 18, 2011

Fancy Friday (Alternative Edition)- Bloom Where You Are Planted

Okay, so I have no idea where any of these pictures came from- I pick and chose from a collection I have been amassing. I do not own any of the above images, I just edited and put them together!

This is a quote I ran across today over at The Country Blossom's blog this morning. It's on her header:
"Blooming Where I'm Planted".
This struck me a rather unexpected blow when I saw it. I couldn't decide why, until I realized it was because it's something that I personally haven't been doing. 
That one little phrase "Bloom where you are planted" has, like so many other phrases, lost all meaning entirely with its overuse and commonness. It's simply become another cute saying on a Hallmark card, or something carved into a poly-resin decoration you stick in your garden planter. However this saying is so steeped in meaning when you pause- really and truly- and reflect on it.
How many times in a day do we wish for something else?
How often do we complain about what we have?
This led me to inquire after what God has to say on the subject. The Bible, being the wonderful, never-failing book that it is, touches on the subject often. Here are just a few that I feel hit the nail on the head, so to speak, and prick my conscience most. 
*
{"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me."}- Hebrews 13: 5-6

{"But Godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content."}- I Timothy 6: 6-8

{"...there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee."}- Psalm 73: 25

Although these are speaking more in reference to material possessions and money, it is also 100% applicable to being content with where God has placed you, be it the time, the location, or the situation. There is always a reason.
This is something I struggle with greatly for a big reason: I do not at all like where I am.
It is no great secret that I do not care for the state of Idaho. I love the people here- the friends I have made, the way people you pass on the street smile at you, how you can have an open and fun conversation with total strangers- but not the place. I was born and raised by the sea- I've got sea water in my veins, and sand between my toes- and I miss it more than anything else in the world
I'm also a gypsy. 
I love to travel, to roam, to go from place-to-place.
I eagerly await the day when I have a drivers licence and the ability to pack up a car and go exploring- even if it's limited to within the state or the ones next door. 
What I really yearn to do, more than anything, is travel all over the world. I don't want to see a little, I want to experience it all. 24, 901.55 miles (as measured from the equator) of places, people, traditions, ethnicities, landmarks, thoughts, and beauty. 
I realize, though, that my chances for doing any of this- at least anytime in the near future- are so slim they can almost be said to be nonexistent. 
Instead, I'm living in Idaho- land of the famous potatoes- and staring out a window onto a stagnant view.
But God has put me here. 
And if I have learned anything in the past six years, it's that God does everything for a reason. 
Whether or not we will find that reason, emerge triumphant on the other side of trouble, or be happy at all, is all based entirely on how much we trust him. 
God has taken me uphill and down, through fire, through ice, through pain, and through happiness, and he's never left my side.
I only wish I could say that I've not left his. 
So, today, with you readers as my witnesses, I have a declaration to make!
I am going to bloom where I am planted.
I have been given this patch of soil, plenty of sunshine, and am being tended by the greatest Vine-keeper, Husbandman, and Gardener. So I'm going to put down my roots and soak up the sun, the rain, and whatever else comes my way. 
I will look upon weeds, not as evil plants that aren't wanted, but as plants that simply are growing in the wrong spot. 
I will be firmly protected from garden pests (Hello, darts of Satan!) and should I happen to catch a disease, God knows exactly how to take care of it ("If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us are sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness"). 
I'm going to be one Fancy Flower.  


(On that note, I wonder what kind of flower I would be? Zinnia? Peony? Hydrangea? Rose? Daisy? What about you? Have you ever wondered this?)



In the end, I'm not sure what makes this Friday Fancy (besides the fancy banquet I get to go to tonight!). I guess what I'm trying to say is: be a fancy flower- flowers can only appear once the plant puts down roots and decides to grow. 


Bloom Where You Are Planted 

7 comments:

KatySue Pillsbury said...

I love this post! I got a book mark with that phrase on it for Christmas a few years ago and have been trying to bloom where I've been planted ever since. My roots still itch a fair amount of the time, but I have learned to be more content!=)

Grace said...

I can tell there will be lots of root itching for me too, but I am resolved to make the most of what I have been blessed with none-the-less! :D

Kori said...

Great post honey! I know you probably already entered, but the Spring giveaway ends today! Check it out! And, don't forget to vote for Fine Man Friday! Kori xoxo

http://www.blondeepisodes.com/2011/03/spring-break-giveaway.html

Lily said...

Love this post!!! And yes...'bloom where you are planted' is a wonderful quote!

Oh, and I promoted you over on my blog. (:

Miss Bleah Briann said...

I saw your blog on Lily's promo list! I really love it. :)

xx,
Bleah

mist of the blossom rain said...

This is so sweet! I think I would be a daisy...
Keep On blooming Grace!

Grace said...

Wowy, Lily! Thank you so much! I'm honored! :')

Daisies are the friendliest flowers! They always look so simple and happy.