February 22, 2011

In Which The Gypsy Settles Down (Or At Least Tries To)


After much deciding, many tutorials, lots of poking, prodding, and jabbing, and a bit of luck, I think I have finally landed on and adopted my new blog layout. I like this one infinitely better than my last two, even if it's not quite as put together as my first one was- I've personalized this, so I like to think of it as my baby. I've spent the entire morning putting the finishing touches on it, and even went so far as to forgo my morning ramble to get it all fixed up. 
~
*
~
*
These past two weeks have seen a lot of change for me. I've been learning to let go and follow closer to God than I ever have before. I also have begun to feel as if I'm finally settling into myself- who I am, what I want to be, where God is going to lead me. To put it simply: I think I'm growing up. 
What? Me? Grow up? Never!
However much one never wants to become a rational adult, there comes a point where one has to realize they cannot always be a silly child, and I feel as if I've reached this point. I'm cleaning out the old, dusty attic that is my head, and letting God open new windows. The many decisions I am facing and will be facing in the near future (physically real decisions more than mental and otherwise) are going to have a huge affect on my life.
It's very scary stuff. 
This change has brought about a lot of things, including my cleaning out my room. I do this every so often, if not because the room I share with my little sister is devoid of space, but because I don't relish the idea of owning lots of stuff. I want more simplicity, not junk that I never use. However, I'm also a rather sentimental person, so I tend to hang onto things that I think of as keepsakes. But this can get absurd. Old ticket stubs, for example. Why am I hanging on to ticket stubs from movies I didn't even like or shows I don't remember? 
So, last week, I resolved to trash any extra junk I had lying around.
"If I don't use it, lose it" was my motto.
I have far less stuff now.

Have you ever had that great feeling of release, happy success, and strange joy whenever you get rid of things? As if you've dropped a burden you didn't know you were carrying?
This is what I feel like.

This morning I got up early and made madeleines to go with breakfast. Madeleines are a French, scallop-shaped, biscuit-like cookie. They are absolutely addicting, and relatively easy to make. They were so delicious with our porridge- I used honey to sweeten them, and they were almond flavoured as well- and I may have to make them for breakfast more often. They were a big hit with the family!
~

Well, bloggers, I hope you like the new layout! Tell me what you think (although I probably won't be changing anything, I just like some feedback anyway). For now, I've got some reading to do- Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (one of my favorites!)- a school year to finish (thank heavens for being homeschooled! I finish my last math classes this week and then I'm free from high school forever!), and I plan on running around Meridian today for various reasons. I'm also going to go claim that morning ramble after all- my gypsies feet are beginning to itch.
Cheerio!
~
*


5 comments:

Brianne said...

It's pretty. And it's you. This is good. :D

Growth is often uncomfortable and itchy for me; it seems to be treating you well and I'm glad for that fact. You are quite a lady, Grace.

Also, I'm thankful you cleaned out your room because I have cool stuff now. ;) :D

Kori said...

It looks great honey! So cute! Hope you had a great day. I'm having a fun giveaway to celebrate my blog makeover! Make sure to enter before Friday if you haven't already! Kori xoxo

http://www.blondeepisodes.com/2011/02/makeover-blog-giveaway.html

Grace said...

Breezy: Thank you. I'm not sure it will ALL be smooth sailing (is anything?) but I know that I've got the greatest Captain steering my little tugboat (and it's not Captain Logic, let me tell you!)

However, you have it wrong: YOU are quite a lady, and I'm lucky to be friends with you. :)

Kori: Thanks so much! I DID enter, and I have my fingers crossed ever-so-tightly!

Kaley Grace said...

Oh how I love your blog! The layout is just scrumptious.

I really relate to the whole growing up thing. I haven't reached the point where I want to be - I'm still "growing into myself", figuring out what I want to do with my life, and how I can glorify God with it. Ah well.

Ooh, you're reading "Wives and Daughters"?! I've watched to movie, and loved it. Is the book good?

Grace said...

Thank you Kaley!

I honestly don't think one can EVER finish growing into themselves. As far as I can tell, God is never finished teaching us lessons. There are older couples in our church who even today talk about the new paths God is taking them down- it's incredible!

And it is an amazing book. I am often sad because Jane Austen, wonderful though she is, often overshadows Elizabeth Gaskell, who is equally as entertaining, although not QUITE as witty. Her book Cranford is another must read, and the movies for both books are great. :)