December 4, 2010

Day Six or, The Princess and The Gypsy (Er, Pauper)

Day 6: A picture of someone you would like to trade places with for a day, and someone you would not.

It should come as no surprise to you that I would choose literary characters for this one. And if you should say "Literary characters don't count: they're not real!" then you are hereby banned from my list of friends. I prefer book characters to real people: you can believe in them, there are no consequences for hating or loving them, and their feelings will never be hurt by your speaking your mind about who they are and what they stand for (although this may spark discord and heated debate among the people you know that actually breathe).

My first choice is, as always, Rosalind from Shakespeare's As You Like It. This is, by far, my favorite Shakespeare play, and the following is the best movie adaptation I've ever seen (probably the only movie adaptation, come to think of it). Either way, Rosalind is my heroine among heroines. She's clever, witty, and beautiful: incredibly feeling and emotional, somehow manages to get herself into the silliest scrapes, and just as equally amazingly gets herself out. And all with the greatest sense of humor and honor.


Of course, in the end she wins the dashing Orlando, and that doesn't suck either.


Now, on the other hand, I would never, for my life, trade places with Hester Prynne. I love The Scarlet Letter, and I love her character (as well as the impish Pearl, her daughter), but I would never trade places with her- not for all the embroidery skills in the world.



3 comments:

Bri said...

Grace, your taste in EVERYTHING is impeccable. :D I haven't seen "As You Like It", but I assure you, I'm going to... I'm looking it up at the library pronto in hopes that I can get it SOON.

Bri said...

Hehehe... nine copies, no holds? I'm lovin' that! This week my dear, this week.

Grace said...

I love that movie! I could have just lent you my copy, though...;)

I WILL warn you here (and on FB as well, just in case you don't read this) that there is a scene of questionable content...ironically enough, the dialog is straight from the play's script, but they change the scene a bit...O_O