July 1, 2010

Knit One, Oops two.

I am feeling frustrated.

Very very frustrated.

And knowing what's making me frustrated is frustrating me, makes me even more frustrating.
For the first time in my remembrance, I am angry at the knitting world. I have begun three very prestigious projects in the past month, both with the same yarn (although not at the same time, only to find some major mistake or some largely overlooked detail that has motivated me frog every last stitch and move on to a different pattern.

I never have to frog my knitting.

Here's how it started. It started with Giselle, or, more directly, Stitch Diva Studios.
I've had my eye on the Giselle pattern ever since I first spotted an advertisement in Interweave Knits last year. It's beautiful, classic, and so unique- what's not to love?

Everything, or so I've found to my cost. I tried to knit the stupid thing three different times in three different ways, and none of them worked out. I swear, the writer was on crack when she wrote it. I finally gave up.

And moved on to "Charade" from Annie Modesitt's Romantic Hand Knits. This time it wasn't the pattern that failed, but me. I some how misread the yardage amount needed, and thought I had enough. A skein of the way through I realized I'd be about two balls short (The yarn, by the way, is delicious. It's Caron's Country yarn in an amazing shade of light green that I got for $2 a skein on closeout. YUM. But because I bought the last of the store's stock, there's no way to get more).

I've finally settled on a new pattern from the latest issue of Vogue Knitting. I don't usually care for this magazine, as everything looks like crazy styles off runway that are no longer considered "stylish" a week after publication by even the Prada-wearing beauty queens. However, this pattern, a lovely lace cardigan from the "Make Me Blush" collection, is perfect for what I want.

And what do I want this for? For a friend I'm visiting in California next week. (Yes, load the car, pack the bags, it's road trip time!) I don't need to worry too much about finding time to knit as the drive is about thirteen to fourteen hours long, but I'd better get started anyway.
So I'm knitting the gauge swatch, double checking the needed yardage, and keeping my fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Bri said...

Wishing you 'knitting luck'. ;)