June 10, 2010

The Blueberry Muffin Recipe And Then Some

So sorry, all, but it would appear that in my muffin post I never actually put down the recipe. Let me rectify the situation by posting it, plus my favourite zucchini bread recipe (also from the same book). Let me stress how important it is to follow the recipe to the letter. The first few times I didn't, but when I did the difference was remarkable.
Ingredients for the Pecan Topping
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons pecans, chopped fine
2 Tablespoons rolled oats
Mix the topping ingredients together in a small bowl.

Ingredients for batter
11 Tablespoons (1 stick plus 3 Tablespoon) unsalted (or salted) butter, melted and cooled to room temp.
3 1/2 Cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Cups coarsly ground pecans (like a nut flour)
2 Teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3/4 Cup sugar
1 Cup cold milk
2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried on paper towels

Directions
1. Position your oven racks so that one is in the center, and preheat it to 400 degrees. Smear eight muffin tins with butter.
2. whish the flour, ground pecans, powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
3.In a separate, big bowl, whisk the eggs to break up the yolks. Still whisking with one hand, pour in the sugar with the other. Continue to whisk for a few minutes until the eggs begin to pale in colour. Whisk in the milk, vanilla, and melted butter.
4. Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet, stirring gently with a wooden spoon. When there is still a little flour visible, gently stir in the blueberries, taking care not to break them up any more than is inevitable.
5. Scoop the batter up with a wooden or metal spoon and, using a rubber spatula, scrape the batter off the spoon into the cups of the muffin tin, filling each almost to the top.
6. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the muffins. Wipe excess topping off the pan.
7. Place muffin tin in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Remove the tin from the oven and place it on a wire rack. Let the muffins sit for a few minutes in the tin, then flip the tin upside down and let the muffins fall out onto the rack.

Enjoy! These are especially good if you serve them warm with cream cheese or devonshire cream.

Whew.
After a really long, extremely hard day at work, there is nothing like coming home to the things that matter- knitting, some devotional time, and some good cooking. I love cooking after a hard day. It's as if after all the turbulence and difficulty of a day full of uncertain results, you can really do something that you know will turn out ok. You can even mess around with the recipe a bit, and it may turn out even more wonderful than before. It's a great way to unwind, and I love sharing my unwinding techniques with people.
Also, after this long hard day, I realized how much I really do want to change jobs. I know I should be happy with what God has given me, but I really think that too many people settle for less than what they want to do, and then are extremely unhappy. This is America's problem. Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life. So I may become a librarian. :D

I would seem to have run out of time, so I will post the zucchini bread recipe next time. This gypsy will be back soon to update you some more on her adventures.

No comments: